The federal government will soon collect information to pinpoint unfair practices Tenants are prevented from finding housing. Wednesday A slew other measures are taken to further protect renters.
Also new? The White House The challenge is to housing providers to strengthen current policies as well as to create new ones. “Blueprint for a Renters Bill of Rights.”
Here’s What you need to know about the Biden Recent efforts by administration to assist renters
Rising rental costs: Tenants Tend to struggle with rising rents as the prices reach all-time highs
What The ‘Blueprint For more information, please visit: Renters Bill Of Rights’?
The blueprint sets guidelines for the government, state and local partners and the private sector aimed at protecting tenants and making rentals affordable, the White House In a news statement
The “Blueprint for a Renters Bill of Rights” Renters should consider:
- Have Housing that is safe, decent and affordable.
- Have A clear and fair lease, which clearly defines your rights, responsibilities, and rental terms.
- Know They should be protected from discrimination and exclusion.
- Be able to organize without harassment from housing providers or property managers.
- Have Access to resources that can help them avoid eviction or prevent future housing instability.
The The document was published by White House Domestic Policy Council National Economic CouncilThe law of, is not a complete set of laws. RatherIt’s a list containing principles “intended to support the development of policies and practices that promote fairness for Americans living in rental housing.”
Where Is the government receiving information about renting?
Both The Federal Trade Commission And the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will look into factors such as tenant background checks, algorithms in tenant screenings, adverse action notices by landlords and property management companies and how an applicant’s source of income factors into housing decisions.
It’s This is the first time that the FTC has asked for information regarding unfair practices in rental markets. White House A news release.
The Federal Housing Finance Agency A new public process will also be launched with suggestions for renter protections, such as limits. “egregious rent increases for future investments,” The Biden-Harris administration said in the release.
Other The following agencies are included in the program:
- U.S. Department Of Justice: Will hold a workshop to help with potential guidance updates surrounding anti-competitive information sharing.
- U.S. Department Of Housing Urban Development: Will publish proposed rules that would require public housing authorities and owners of some rental assistance properties to provide at least 30 days’ advanced notice before terminating a lease due to nonpayment.
And the president’s administration says it will host quarterly meetings with a diverse group of tenants and tenant advocates to make sure they can provide their own input.
What Is the Resident-Centered Housing Challenge?
The The president’s administration announced a new challenge: Resident-Centered Housing Challenge.
According According to the release, this is a push for housing providers as well as other stakeholders. “strengthen practices and make their own independent commitments that improve the quality of life for renters.”
The Spring 2023 Challenge will challenge governments at the state and local levels Tribal To determine the territorial and national levels of government “enhance” policies and come up with new ones that help increase fairness and transparency in the rental market.
Some Several agencies have already committed to participating, including the Wisconsin Housing Economic Development Authority Pennsylvania Housing Finance AgencyThe, which have limited annual rental increases to 5% per annum for state-subsidized affordable housing.
Members You can find the Stewards Of Affordable Housing The following are the recommendations: Future, which owns or manages 145,000 housing units across the U.S., have promised to offer payment plans for residents with unpaid rent who have worked with property management.
The Renters can also be offered by members:
- At least 30 days’ notice to vacate for nonpayment of rent,
- At You must cure the rent arrears within five days
- And 60 days’ notice of any proposed sale or closure of a property.
Saleen Martin Is a reporter for USA TODAY’s Now team. She Is from Norfolk, Virginia – The 757 – Loves all things horror and witches. ChristmasFood. Follow Her on Twitter at @Saleen_Martin Send an email to her at [email protected].